The Big "C"

Friday, November 24, 2006

I am so lucky and blessed

You know, no matter how much has happened, or how much will happen, I am very lucky, blessed if you will. I have so much in my life, so much given to me, earned, and yet to come. I know in the previous post I complained and whined, but I'm over that now. I know that I am very fortunate. I also am at peace with everything I was ever worried about. The future will lay itself out, and regardless of what I do, what will happen, will happen. No use worrying about things out of my control.

What really really helped me get to this point was a book I read. It is titled "Nordies at Noon" and is written by four young women with breast cancer. It just came out at the end of 2006 and was lent to me by a friend at my exercise class for women with breast cancer. I never finished any of the books I was given on breast cancer, but this one I read from cover to cover. It was about a 24 year old, 2 27 year olds and a 30 year old pregnant, who all had breast cancer. I related a lot to two of the ladies, as one was so close to my age and the other was diagnosed months before her wedding. Unfortunately, the 24 year old had her cancer come back after a couple years and by then it had spread to her bones, lungs and liver. She ended up passing away before the book was published, but what she wrote made it all okay. She was at peace with her situation and went out and LIVED her life. She truly was an inspiration to me and I credit her with giving me my peace of mind. I feel my worries are nothing compared to hers and it would almost be a shame to her if I lived worrying about my health. I will always remember her strength from the book and move on with my life. I know I am not scared anymore, and that everything will be okay regardless of what happens. And if I ever have worries, I also will leave them to somebody else to take care of. In the book, one of the ladies received a box with this saying:

Good morning. I am the Lord your God. Today, I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help. If the devil happens to deliver a situation to you that you cannot handle, DO NOT attempt to resolve it. Kindly put it in the “Something for Jesus to Do” box. It will be addressed in my time, not yours. Once the matter is placed in the box, do not hold onto it or attempt to remove it. Holding on or removal will delay the resolution of your problem. If it is a situation that you are capable of handling, please consult me in prayer to be sure that it is the proper resolution. Because I do not sleep nor do I slumber, there is no need for you to lose any sleep. Rest my child. If you need to contact me, I am only a prayer away. Love Eternally, The Lord Your God.
AUTHOR UNKNOWN


This has helped soooo much too. I have taken all my problems and put them in a box of my own. I really feel as if I have finally made a major stepping stone, where I am able to get back to normalcy and be happy and content. I know there will be new worries and concerns, but they go back in the box. And if I need encouragement, I will think of the girl from the book, and think of what she would do in my situation.

I can finally look at the world with my own eyes and not as a victim, statistic or survivor. I am Jill, just turned 24, about to get married and go to medical school. I have a very thick medical file, but it will not dictate who I am. It will only guide me as I help my future patients become knowledgable and at peace with their health. I hope to give to them not only the healing that medicine can give, but also what the heart can give too. I understand the confusion and pain associated with terminal illness, and my goal is to give them some calm in the storm. I also now have faith in the medical field I am about to enter, as that also stood trial this past year. How can you practice, until you believe?

I am finally where I need to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home